July 02, 2004

The best I've done lately is just reading around because I've been so anxious.

Read some back issues of New Left Review. Jameson on utopias, etc.

Perhaps most notable of this reading around is an essay by Rod Hernandez in XCP called "Pocho-Che and the Production of a Transnational/Transcultural Poetics." Interesting just because I didn't know anything about this literary movement.

Yesterday read article by Michael Levenson "Does the Waste Land Have a Politics?" Found this very helpful.

The day before read a series of articles on Finnegans Wake...

David Spurr's "Writing in the Wake of Empire"
(which I had read a few weeks ago because I found a different marked copy on my desk but I had no memory of the details. What is this telling me about my reading/about the academic essay?)

Reed Way Dasenbrook's, "Philosophy After Joyce: Derrida and Davidson"

Rosa Maria Bosinelli's, "The European Finnegans Wake Study Group: 1970-71"

Jacob King's "Polyglotism in Rabelais and Finnegans Wake"

Recently read half of Bill Ayers Fugitive Days and it looks like I am unlikely to finish it. Nothing wrong with it but just lost momentum. It is a memoir by Ayers, a member of the Weather Underground. I think I lost momentum because it isn't that well written. Or maybe is too carefully written. I don't know. I've had it on my desk for a few weeks planning to finish it but I seem to not be picking it up each time I want something to read at night when I am too zonked to read the other shit I need to read, which is why I started reading it in the first place. Maybe it just isn't for late night reading.

This morning read a not yet published essay Rob Wilson sent me about Henry Opuakaha'ia, "Henry, Torn From the Stomach." Opuakaha'ia is one of the first, the first?, Hawaiians to come to the east coast of the continent. He studies at Yale. Eventually gets sick and dies. Rob's essay is mainly about naming. I like to read Rob's work because it teaches me a lot about how work gets made through approximation, through ideas that are near each other, and then the trick is to spin this stuff that comes to you in your life into something elaborate and interesting. It isn't that his work isn't researched, but just that it feels as if he lets all sorts of things into it while doing the research. Maybe like sea sponge. The article soaks things up nearby and transforms them.

Going to Chillicothe for the weekend so there is a chance I'll get reading some done on the plane. Or that is my hope.

Blog Archive