July 27, 2004

I'm not sure I understand war in central america much better after reading Ileana Rodriquez's Women, Guerillas, & Love: Understanding War in Central America. But not a bad read. The title though might be the best part of the book. The title is fantastic.

I'm trying to find stuff by women on literature and political education or culture and political education. And all I find are women complaining about how men got it wrong. Which is true. But interesting that there is are so few positive examples of women talking about the importance of literature to political education or even women writing about the importance of the various sorts of things that we call revolutions. (Everyone turns to Menchu.) I guess has something to do with the times, most of this literature, these movements, happening before feminism really took off. But also wondering what neo-colonialism has to do with it (neo-colonial cultures being so big into political education for obvious reasons and also being so big into masculinity).

And yet still enjoyed reading this. Short chapters were nice. Although lost interest in the in depth reading of the novels (which is usual for me).

This book is so close to Maria Josepfina Saldana-Portillo's The Revolutionary Imagination in the Americas and the Age of Development (read this a few weeks ago) that it made me wonder. Actually I think it is that Saldana-Portillo's book is so close to this book. This one is copyright 1996 (can't tell if it was published in Spanish earlier or not).  Saldana-Portillo is 2003. I think I got the citation for this book from the Saldana-Portillo book.

Made me want to read:
Rogue Dalton's Poor Little Poet that I Was. Is this out in english?
also
They Won't Take Me Alive: Salvadorean Woman in Struggle for National Liberation.
Margaret Randall, Sandino's Daughters: Testimonies of Nicaraguan Women in Struggle


Blog Archive