June 05, 2006

Good stuff lately...

Two new chapbooks from David Buuck, Ruts and Runts.

I keep wanting to write something about how Peter Weiss The Aesthetics of Resistance is my new all time favorite book. But I don't know where to start and I feel like anything I have to say would be stupid. I am so obsessed with it that I have reverted to childhood reading habits where I did not read last twenty pages of book because I did not want it to be over. And so I let the book sit there, unfinished for some weeks. Then last week went back and read some more towards the end and then stopped again and reread the passages on Dante and Kafka (and my obsession with this book probably comes from the moments when the book talks in great detail about how art and literature shape the mind; these passages are stunning and there is so little else that talks about this stuff in the world). Still have five pages left to read and not sure I will finish. A good plan might be to wait for next volume to come out and then finish one, knowing I have two ahead of me.

I've been reading a lot of stuff in manuscript...

Dodie Bellamy's Academonia. I can't get enough of complaints about the academy. Could not stop reading it. Nice mixture of prickly and sweet.

And then reread Yunte Huang manuscript on Pacific histories.

For Chain links project, an essay, is that the word?, by Matias Faldbakkan on Edward Norton and waspiness that is very disorientating in a good way.

And then unrelated to Chain, a really good essay by Jules Boykoff and Kaia Sand on guerrilla poetry and public space.

And forthcoming essay by Stevphen Shukaitis and David Graeber which I'm fascinated by. I've always felt that the academy had a choice between Brecht and Adorno and most lit dept sorts went with Adorno and as a result an activist art practice became viewed as unsophisticated b/c the really sophisticated realized with Adorno that everyone, everything was caught. This essay argues the same result but locates the choice as one between Situationists and the post-68ers and the academy chose the post-68ers and the activists went with the Situationists. This is introduction to forthcoming book from AK press.

Also enjoying Jenny Boully's One Love Affair.

Blog Archive