July 27, 2007

Somewhat frantically reading because I keep losing books or end up unable to move and so need a book in each room of the house. In front bedroom, Samuel Delaney's Dark Reflections; in office next to rocking chair, Ursula LeGuin's Always Coming Home; Lester Rowntree's Hardy Californians: a Woman's Life with Native Plants, the latest issue of Cabinet; in back bedroom, Dam Nation: Dispatches from the Water Underground; downstairs on couch, Joanne Kyger's About Now; downstairs next to chair, Sing A Battle Song: the Revolutionary Poetry, Statements, and Communiques of the Weather Underground, 1970-1974; on kitchen table current issues of Sunset and Dwell, etc.

From a few weeks ago...

Patrick Durgan's Imitation Poems feels very different from other work of his I have read. At moments almost New York School:
"Yes, but perhaps
this is the moon I stand on, and not my planet.
Is there anything to drink? Who am I speaking
with? Can I come home? Will you have me as I am?
How am I? How are you? Who built the ship? Is it
improper to ask?" You're procrastinating, now. So kiss me.

Ann Rower's If You're a Girl. Enjoying the more NYie memoir ones. Some of the experimental fiction ones aren't for me. Found this amusing because of Peter Gizzi's Artificial Heart: "I wonder if they'll have theories about left heart and right heart, like they do about the brain. I remember when they had to replace the left side of Barney Clarke's artificial heart. I found out that during the surgery he made them play Ravel's Bolero. I also found out it is the left side of the heart that does all the serious pumping. Now wonder they had to replace it. 'Artificial heart': good title" (p.70).

Blog Archive