October 03, 2009

Jerome McGann, "Pseudodoxia Academica"

Frances Ferguson, "Planetary Literary History: The Place of the Text." Super useful old skool style discussion of the dialogue that the Moretti and Casanova works are creating (both of which I plan to assign next semester).

Two by David Larsen...
"Precedence and Innovation in the Bilingual Nabataean Inscription at 'En 'Avdat." Which is fascinating for how far it feels from the sort of literary criticism that I'm used to reading. Detailed discussion of a few lines that read something like "And he acts neither for benefit not favor. And if death claims us let me not be claimed. And if affliction seeks, let it not seek us. Garm'alahi wrote this with his own hand." Although that is just one possible version. And the point of the article is to suggest some others.

Then, LRSN-voice returns, in "Translation as Conceptual Writing." Which made me love his Names of the Lion even more. "But translation from the language of the colonized to the lang. of the colonizer's is the more characteristic direction of empire, because it's empire that has the resources and the need to know about its subject populations."

Also in print out, a bunch of work by Jonathan Skinner...includes a really great syllabus on ecopoetics that states "Unless otherwise noted, and weather permitting, we'll hold our classes around the old fireplace at the top of Thorncrag."

"So I wanted to include a lot of information in this poem--to document, as it were, the recent and not so recent history--I needed a new form, something radically more expansive than the lyric condensery of the warblers. So broke into very long, 'landscape'-format lines, three to a stanza."

And yet more in print out... Bea Gates, "DOS."

Brian McHale, "How Not to Read Closely" which is a review of Peter Middleton's Distant Reading and I want to remind self to get this book and to read in particular the chapter on the history of the poetry reading.

Ines Hernandez-Avila, "A Conversation with Juan Gregorio Regino, Mazatec Poet."
"I also wanted to write poetry, because it wasn't enough to say, 'Well, now we have the alphabet.' What is important was to create things, to produce written work. In that momen I thought poetry could be an excellent form of expression, of communicating, and above all to have written material that could help teachers in the process of learning the Mazatec alphabet. That's how I began." p. 122-3.

"to say, 'I recover things,' but through poetry I'm able in turn to transmit it [once again]. So how this is ultimately written is important to me." p. 124

Great conversation over breakfast with Inger Elisabeth Hansen, who works as an editor reading poetry mss, about gender and the interior/exterior and how women are writing now in Norway. I was reading Ariana Reines' Coeur de Lion at same time so I kept talking about it.

Began working my way through Algeria in Others' Languages.

Blog Archive